Thursday, February 3, 2011

Week 3

(We're going to pretend week 2 imploded. Yes, yes we are.)

I'm happy this week, because it's Thursday and I still have time to do the mad dash thing I do on weekends to make the deadline.

I'm happier, actually, because I have two stories finished  and - wait for it - polished. (One of them, anyways). As in, it went through 'bout three drafts (not counting the smaller ones in the middle) and came out something I didn't mind too much.


I'm crushingly depressed right now because of that story.

CW class today, y'see. And I guess I actually wasn't ready to show that story yet. Amidst the other amazing stories by other amazing student writers who just manage to do other amazing stuff that I can't do, I just staggered out of the classroom wondering how the hell I'd had the nerve to read it out loud and I was never going to write again I was just a failure and maybe that law school was beginning to look good after all and....

And I opened my notebook (because my laptop was in my room) and began writing immediately. Because gosh darn it, even as I figured giving up would be the smart thing to do, listening to feedback and other works just inspired me so much. The characters from two long-ago WIPs that I thought had abandoned me were yakking away in my head every step of the way to my next class.

So I got through the day, and the writer's down.

I'll get through the next one, and the next one...until it gives up (unlikely), or I give up (more likely, but I'm very stubborn).

So...... let's get that Ray Bradbury quest going once more, shall we?

1 comment:

  1. jys -- I wonder how many of the other students had thoughts like yours? And while feedback from other writers is great, feedback from an editor is even better.

    Send it out, see what happens. Good luck.

    debs

    ReplyDelete